Steel Targets AR500 Steel
The Salute Difference
Our Unique Features
- Automatically resets your target after each hit!
- Dangerous bullet fragments are stopped by the Splatter Platter!
- Easy set-up and carry.
- Interchangeable targets, one base can be used for any of the targets.
- High quality AR500 steel.
When a bullet strikes a steel target that is completely vertical the majority of the bullet’s energy goes directly to weakening that point on the steel. By placing the target at an angle, a portion of the bullet’s energy at impact is deflected rather than absorbed. Our targets are positioned at 5 degree forward tilt for the spring bases and 30 degree for the DOD Mil Spec. Dissipating a bullet’s energy and directing the splatter away from the shooter is safer and will help your targets last longer. However, every steel target including ours can be damaged. Steel hardness and proper design can both be defeated by misuse and/or abuse of the target. This is why we do not recommend the use of steel core or armor piercing ammunition on our steel targets. Any target can eventually be shot until it fails.
- Wide variety of target shapes….check our Product line catalog.
- High quality, 3/8 inch AR-500, laser etched steel. These targets are capable of handling rounds from pistols and shotgun slugs and all center-fire rifles (except .50 BMG and any armor piercing or steel core rifle ammo).
- The uniquely designed Splatter Platter will trap many of the dangerous bullet fragments heading toward the shooter… a very innovative safety feature that our own Engineer designed making our targets safer than others.
When a bullet strikes a steel target that is completely stationary at a 90-degree angle, all the bullet’s energy goes directly to weakening that point on the steel. If the target is completely stationary but is positioned at slightly less than a 90-degree angle, a portion of the bullet’s energy at impact is deflected rather than absorbed. If the target is positioned at slightly less than a 90-degree angle AND the target is able to move on impact, a much larger portion of the bullet’s energy is deflected rather than absorbed. Our targets are positioned at an angle and move when they are hit, but automatically reset, due to the unique design of the base. Dissipating a bullet’s energy is safer and will help your targets last longer. However, every steel target including ours can be damaged. Steel hardness and proper design can both be defeated by misuse and/or abuse of the target.. This is why we do not recommend the use of steel core or armor piercing ammunition on our steel targets. Any target can eventually be shot until it fails.
About Our Steel
- Steel Targets AR500 Steel Sheets
- SALUTE Targets are 3/8-inch thick, design cut, and etched for detail. They are made of high quality steel that won’t crater, pock, or deform.
- SALUTE uses AR 500 High-Carbon Steel. The more carbon that is dissolved in the iron, the tougher and less formable the steel becomes. High-Carbon steel’s hardness makes it suitable for severe, high-wear applications. AR or “Abrasion Resistant” steel is high-carbon steel. There is no surface treatment or chemical application that can affect the steel’s hardness. SALUTE targets are literally armor plate tough!
- These targets are a great addition to any shooting range. They are designed for use with Pistols, Shotgun slugs and all center-fire rifles except .50 BMG and any armor piercing or steel core rifle ammo
- AR500 material has a Brinell hardness of 500 which is equivalent to a Rockwell C 51 hardness… essentially armor plate! These targets have been tested with .223 (5.5mm NATO), 7.62X39 (AK-47), 308 (7.62 x 51 NATO), .30-06, 45-70, 12 gauge shotgun rounds and firearms of equivalent power. Up to 3,000 FPS muzzle velocity.
SALUTE WARNING “Buy Cheap Buy Twice”
Almost all of our Salute customers spend considerable money on quality weapons and ammo. Your time and resources are valuable. PLEASE beware of discount gun supply “puppy mills” peddling inferior, particularly foreign products. Not all AR500 Armor Plate is created equal! Our unique Salute “DOD Mil Spec” Base (meets US Department of Defense Military Specifications) is the finest static deflection mounting system in the world. But it functions best when coupled with Salute approved AR500 Armor Plate. Our Salute Large Spring Base has a different mounting system that does not use welds on the target. For this reason this base works better for high velocity rifle, carbine, and heavy impact shotgun fire. As the Salute Large Targets are heavier and more robust, they don’t get flung down as violently when hit, as do our Salute Small Spring Targets on their Bases. Vibration and violent impact can have a very adverse affect on welds, steel tubing, and inferior steel plate. Please remember that our Small Base and Targets are primarily designed for the full range of pistol calibers. Yes, they will hold up to occasional, infrequent, but not high volume heavy usage, hot rifle rounds over a sustained period of time. Our Salute AR500 armor plate is the finest on the market (again note that not all advertised AR500 steel is created equal). We deliberately test our Salute AR500 with .30-06 and .50 cal. Armor Piercing rounds. Sad to say, some of our competition, particularly high volume discount folks in Minnesota and Tennessee, or those claiming to be foremost in world outfitters, farm out their target orders to China, get very inferior products that are hard to classify as true AR500 armor plate. Yes, we test not just our own, but those who try to copy our designs! At Salute, we are American shooters first, not to mention combat veteran owned and operated. As our guys in the shop say of other brands: “BUY CHEAP, BUY TWICE.”